When Jesus looked up and saw a great crowd coming toward him, he said to Philip, "Where shall we buy bread for these people to eat?" He asked this only to to test him, for he already had in mind what he was going to do. John 6:5-6
Jesus looked out at the thousands who had gathered and he had compassion on them! He wanted to feed them - to provide for their physical comfort and nourishment. He KNEW how he would provide enough to satisfy, but - his disciples didn't - and wanted to test them. But Philip couldn't see past the logistics. He answered "Eight months' wages would not buy enough bread for each one to have a bite!" He failed Jesus' test. Next up was Andrew - "Here is a boy with five small barley loaves and two small fish, but how far will they go among so many?" And Andrew also failed.
What would I have said? Would I have remembered that Jesus has always compassionately and graciously provided for my every need and more? Would I have been able to see outside the circumstances and past the logistics? Would I have remembered - if I had been there as the disciples were - that Jesus had turned water into wine? As much as I would like to think that I would, I know that I am as guilty as Philip and Andrew were that day. The same sovereign provision and loving care of Jesus has been abundantly present in my life - and yet I still lack faith. I believe that God tests us for two reasons - two show us our inadequacy and His sufficiency.
But Jesus did not rebuke his disciples for their lack of faith. Instead, he lovingly told the people to sit down in the grass. And Jesus fed the thousands of hungry people that were gathered there - they "ate all they wanted" and they were satisfied.
'Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus...O for grace to trust Him more!
No comments:
Post a Comment